Monday, April 13, 2020

Recent F/SP3RNZ winter activity @JN08XW - addendum.

Although it's been quite sometime this activity took place, I want to share some pics and summary of my QRP activity as F/SP3RNZ and ofc somehow thank to all, who patiently made QSO with me ;-)

Portable Hotel setup ;-)

I was using FT-817 mostly battery powered, sometimes with external switching PSU causing tremendous noises over HF bands. One reason is the EFHW (End Fed Half Wave) antenna used has no countepoise, or better to say coax shield acting as the second leg of antenna. Using CMC choke usually helps to minimize noise pickups, but this time did not.

80/40/20 EFHW antenna and QRM sources on the rooftop

Additionally runnning ham radio in Hotel building can be limited only to daylight hours, or even impossible because of man made noise concentration. The reason is, there are LED lamp installed almost everywhere for safety reasons, some of them are broken, making more noises when wet after rain, or in cold temperatures and lot's of small switching devices as phone/laptop chargers etc.
Anyway every dxp can teach something new, I've got my lesson - will be prepared next time.    

During limited time of operation 40+ QSO were made on FT8, and only 2 CW unfortunately, but I was happy to get Ted SP3OCC on CW and all other modes :-)

Many more can be worked, but guys running big power on FT8 are usually DEAF for QRP signals. At least I am sure QRP worked well being heard daily across EU, and even EA8. 

All QSL's were sent already in January 2020, so if You worked me, You'll have another, if not - look for me in August/September ( if we ged rid of this CORONA-shit until then )


If by any chance You'll hear me calling CQ somewhere on HF/6m in August/September 2020, don't hesitate to call me :-)
73, QSH and OCV... 

No comments:

Post a Comment